I have always loved Christmas shopping and have fond memories growing up of visiting the Christmas window displays, the Christmas lights and browsing the independent shops in my local market town. Now as an adult, with my own small business, I am more determined than ever to shop as independently as I possibly can. Inevitably with four children, there are items that have to be purchased from the bigger guys, but where possible I shop small, understanding the importance of this for us small brands....we really do do a happy dance when we hear that 'kerching'! So I have decided to share some of my favourite small brands, some are bricks and mortar shops, others are online, some I have purchased from, or intend to, and others I admire and want to show my support to, so here goes!
- The Mamahood - I am part of this amazing community consisting of Mum run brands. You can find over 100 small businesses on this site, and what's more, there is an online Christmas shop offering free shipping, and currently a pop up shop open in Clapham. There is something for all including jewellery, furnishings, gifts for babies and children, home accessories, clothing and even furniture! You won't be disappointed. Some of my favourites include: Little Jagger, Mama Knows, Mama and Max, Lella, Pigeon and the Wolf, Sewcial Circle and Jack and Freda. So do go and have a look.
- Be Lifestyle Boutique is a bricks and mortar shop local to me but they also have a website to shop. The owner, Babs, sources beautiful items of clothing, jewellery and homeware. Much of it is sourced from artisans she has established relationships with in Morocco. It truly is a wonderful place to shop and you are always assured a warm welcome!
- Our Kid Social - Another bricks and mortar shop local to me with an online shop selling a carefully curated selection of toys, gifts and clothing for babies and children.
- Muthahood - Anyone who has come across Gemma and her brand can't help but fall in love with all she does. She is the founder of the Strong Girls Club tees which my girls and me all have. Her message is clear, girls and women are powerful, and we need to believe in ourselves!
- Wolfie and Willow - Is a Welsh brand who produce beautiful leather products including bags, pouches, purses, and accessories, but they also create gorgeous leather moccasins for babies and children.
- Monty and co - I love the ethics of this sustainable children's clothing brand. Based in the Cotswolds, all items are made in the UK, and are designed to be timeless, unisex and durable.
- Small Stuff - Another bricks and mortar shop but with an online shop in Sheffield. They sell sustainable and ethical items for babies and children. Each item is very carefully sourced by the owner Hellen.
- Finally, I would like to mention my lovely friends Little Jagger and Mama Knows, we have worked together to create a great gift set perfect for babies first Christmas. It includes a bear print dribble bib, a bear teether and a pair of festive red pom pom booties. So if you are struggling for a gift idea for little ones, then do have a look!
I hope that there maybe something here that appeals to you, and would urge you to make considered purchases this Christmas and support small businesses where you can, they truly are the hearts of our community, and so very valuable to our economy. Thank you for reading and Happy Christmas to you all,